Wednesday, November 18, 2015



Book Review

Sometimes You Win Sometimes You Learn

http://michaelhyatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/sometimes-you-win.png

 http://michaelhyatt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/sometimes-you-win.png


Sometimes You Win Sometimes You learn is motivational book. It was written by John Calvin Maxwell. I may say that the book is a recommended one. Why? because it motivates and gives so many enlightenments to our life. So let’s check what inside!

Before we discuss about the book, I want to tell you about why I could buy that book. It was really a frustrated one. It was when I had a long trip in Depok to have an English debate competition. It was my first national competition that I had, so back then, I was feeling a pressure. I was afraid to face this competition, especially when we gathered for the opening competition. Every participant looked like so masterpiece in their English speaking and even I could feel if they were full of confidence.

I was a little shock because you knew, I joined this competition because I had to succeed my friend for this competition. So I only had one month to prepare this. Yeah even I knew that one month was quite a long time too, but still hard to say I was well prepared.

 When I stepped my foot there, I deliberately said “OMG! So many.. How can I win?” Then, my teammate said to me “It’s okay! Just relax..”. He was so good, but still. It was not enough to make me felt well.

I was trying to convince myself that I could do my best.  I spent a rough-strict competition for almost one week in Depok. I didn’t know, but I lost in my quarter final. So in the chart, my team was placed thirteen in national debate competition. It was amazing, but to tell honest, no one ever liked to lose from something. So did I.

I was feeling a little tired and disappointed. So I went to UI’s library. I passed a book store. There was a great discount there, so I stepped in. Honestly even there was a great discount, I never intended to buy any book there, but when I get a glimpse of a book. I stopped and stay still. To see, “Sometimes You Win Sometimes You Learn”. It was touching me and I didn’t know how I just wanted to buy it.

I went back to my hometown, Bandung. I had a spare time. So I could read the book. I read it and the book was really making me realize so many things in my life. It awoke me to have a trust to myself again. The book was full of so many great people’s experiences in facing their loss. So it gave me many of lessons.

The book told me about how to overcome with my loss and be wise to face it. It realized me that I couldn’t let it controlled my whole emotions and always deep in my own sadness. I learn that losing something wasn’t a sign to stop, but it was to start again. And you want to know what I really liked about this book. It realized me that no matter what loss that I will get, if I still live, it means that I still have ‘hopes’.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment